The poor Romans were stuck in fields and then crossing a stream, all the while being shot at by skirmishers. They should have been decimated. Or worse!!!! But such was not the outcome!
1. Rod's Noble Cavalry charged the Roman Equites. Rod's cavalry had better fighting skill and better morale. His charging unit was backed up by a second unit.
2. Rod's cavalry won, but only just. The Roman cavalry had to make a morale test, which they passed.
3. The second round of combat was a tie.
4. The third round of combat was won by the Barbarian cavalry -- but only just. The Romans had to take another morale test, and passed.
5. The fourth round of combat was won by the Romans -- this was against the odds. The Barbarian cavalry had to take a morale check, rolled box cars, and broke.
6. The supporting cavalry had to take a panic test for seeing a rout, rolled box cars, and broke.
7. Four supporting infantry hordes had to take panic tests. Two rolled box cars, and broke.
8. The pursuing Roman cavalry caught the Barbarian cavalry that was routing and destroyed them.
At this point the barbarian army had been gutted -- and they hadn't even got into combat yet! Rod conceded and we went and played X-Wing!
The Barbarian horde advances
Some Romans get across the stream
The barbarian center runs away!
Rod got his revenge in X-Wing though. Hans and Luke and some nobody blew through my imperial Tie fighters like they were made of plastic!